Dell Technologies Achieves Many 2020 Social Impact Goals Ahead of Schedule
- Delivers final progress report for 2020 Legacy of Good, highlighting early completion and over-achievement of many goals
- Reinforces commitment to embedding social impact in all facets of its business
- Sets foundation for a new, strategic 2030 social impact vision "Progress Made Real"
"Running a sustainable and inclusive business with purpose has never been more urgent for the success of our company, our customers and our communities," said
Final progress report on 2020 Plan
- Recovered more than 2 billion pounds of used electronics via responsible recycling through programs such as
Dell Reconnect, a partnership with Goodwill, and Dell's Asset Resale and Recycling Services (achieved 2020 goal ahead of schedule).
- Reused 100 million pounds of recycled content, plastic and other sustainable materials in
Dell Technologies'new products (achieved 2020 goal ahead of schedule).
- Developed and maintained sustainability initiatives in 100% of
Dell Technologies-operated buildings (achieved 2020 goal ahead of schedule).
- Reduced wastewater discharge in manufacturing by 4.56M cubic meters.
- Reduced 64% of product portfolio energy intensity footprint.
- Delivered 5 million service hours to communities globally through initiatives that focused on but were not limited to: Skills-based volunteering, mentoring students, and developing new nonprofit technology solutions (achieved 2020 goal of service hours).
- Enabled eligible team members to participate in flexible work options and increased global participation to 60% (surpassed 2020 goal of 50%).
- Achieved 89% or higher favorable responses in team member satisfaction globally (surpassed 2020 goal of 75%).
- Allocated more than
$3 billion dollarsannually to diverse suppliers within supply chain programs and continued to qualify for the Billion Dollar Roundtable.
- Rolled out company-wide foundational learning program focused on mitigating unconscious bias called Many Advocating Real Change (MARC) - with 100% participation from all executives globally.
- Recognized by LinkedIn as a 2019
Top Company, by FairyGodBoss as a Top 10 Tech Companyaccording to women working at Dell Technologies, by the Human Rights Campaign's 2019 Corporate Equality Index as one of the best places to work for LGBTQ Equality (15 consecutive years) and by Ethisphere® Institute as a World's Most Ethical Company(6 consecutive years).
A roadmap for progress
The 2020 Legacy of Good plan set a strong foundation for
- After a successful e-waste tracker pilot in partnership with Basel Action Network (BAN),
Dell Technologiesnow makes global tracking technologies part of its existing electronics disposition partner audit program. The pilot program revealed some vulnerabilities in the downstream recycling process, which helped Dell Technologiesto quickly take corrective action to address the operational gap.
- Dell recently launched a process to use recycled material,Polyvinyl Butyral (rPVB), from car windshields to create the protective, waterproof lining of Dell laptop bags and backpacks. The company is also using an innovative method of solution dyeing for these backpacks, which results in 90% less wastewater and 29% less energy, while generating 62% fewer CO2 emissions compared to typical piece-dyeing. The first bags and backpacks with rPVB began shipping in February and are forecasted to avoid approximately 74,000 pounds of landfill waste per month.
- Additionally, in partnership with suppliers
Seagateand Teleplan(a storage device recycling/recovery specialist), Dell identified a new closed-loop process to recover the rare earth magnets from recovered enterprise equipment. The magnets are reformed for reuse in new hard-disk drives. In the initial pilot program, we are using the reformed magnets in 25,000 Seagatehard drives for our Dell Latitude 5000 series laptop. Reusing rare earth metals helps us avoid the need to mine the earth, which can cause environmental damage and health concerns for local communities.
In the midst of a talent shortage, closing the diversity gap is critical to meeting future talent needs and for reflecting new perspectives of a global customer base.
- The neurodiversity hiring program provides training and possible full-time career opportunities for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder. In partnership with HMEA, The Arc of the Capital Area and Neurodiverisity in the Workplace,
Dell Technologies'program removes barriers that may limit an individual from showcasing their true abilities and potential during the typical job interview process. The pilot expanded from Massachusettsto Texasin April, 2019.
- Re-entry programs like Dell Career Restart offer a re-entry experience for individuals who have been out of the workforce for a year or more, and leverages their previous career experience in a supportive environment. The company launched pilots in the U.S. and
- Skilling and re-skilling programs include
Dell Technologies'partnership with Northeastern University'sAlignProgram, which enables students from diverse backgrounds to transition into a technology career through intensive coursework to earn a master's degree in computer science. Project Immersion provides undergraduates at Minority Serving Institutions and Historically Black Colleges & Universities with skills for the digital future. Additionally, Dell Technologies'distance education Laboratory for Peoplewith Disabilities (LE@D) online learning platform, teaches technology-based vocational skills to individuals with motor, hearing or other disabilities in Brazil.
Transforming Lives with Technology
Harnessing the power of technology enables limitless possibilities for advancing human progress and solving complex societal challenges.
Dell Technologiescontinued to expand its solar learning labs to help bridge the educational gap in areas that lack access to consistent energy and technology in partnership with Computer Aid International. These labs are created by transforming shipping containers into classrooms with Dell Wyse Thin Client workstations managed by an air-cooled PowerEdge server for up to 20 students. With solar panels to generate electricity, the container can be deployed in remote locations. Dell Technologieshas already funded 18 labs in six countries around the world. Microsofthas recently joined in this collaborative effort, awarding Computer Aid with a Technology for Social Impact grant to further provide technology access through the solar learning labs.
- To fight pediatric cancer,
Dell Technologies'donated $30 million dollarsover 6 years to Translational Genomics Research Institute(TGen) through a partnership designed to use technology solutions and employee volunteerism. Through Dell's technology, TGen increased computational hours by almost 4x, allowing researchers and doctors to identify treatments faster, by turning a patient's vast DNA and RNA sequencing data into insights.
Upholding Ethics & Privacy
Ethics and privacy play a critical role in establishing a strong foundation for positive social impact. In this time of rapid innovation, big data, an evolving regulatory environment, and increasing expectations from both our team members and customers, our leadership in ethics and privacy is vital to what sets
- Dell Technologies Progress Made Real Vision 2030
- FY19 Legacy of Good Report
- Online Press Kit
- Direct 2 Dell Blog: Tackling the fastest growing domestic waste stream takes circular thinking
- Direct 2 Dell Blog: We must build a future workforce for all
- Direct 2 Dell Blog: Our great opportunity to transform lives
Dell Technologiessocial impact website
- Connect with
Dell Technologiesby following @DellTech, @Dell4Impact
Copyright © 2019 Dell Inc. or its subsidiaries. All Rights Reserved. Dell Technologies, Dell, Dell EMC, Dell Inc. and the Dell logo are trademarks of Dell Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dell-technologies-achieves-many-2020-social-impact-goals-ahead-of-schedule-300881529.html