Dell Technologies Transforms the Edge with Project Frontier Software Platform
Dell'sProject Frontier will deliver an edge operations software platform to securely scale edge applications and infrastructure while supporting choice of software, IoT, operational and multicloud technologies Dellexpands ISV partner ecosystem to simplify the deployment of software and applications at the manufacturing edge
- Dell PowerEdge XR4000,
Dell'sshortest depth rugged server, withstands harsh edge conditions and fits in tight spaces
- Dell Latitude 7230 Rugged Extreme Tablet offers enhanced performance and powerful connectivity for manufacturers, first responders and retailers at the edge
DELL TECHNOLOGIES SUMMIT,
The complexities of edge operations—in locations from manufacturing floors and retail stores to remote wind turbines—are growing as more organizations want to manage and secure data at the source but have limited IT support to do it. According to a 2022 IDC survey, 42% of businesses say the most challenging aspect of edge deployments is putting together an entire edge solution1. With the amount of data generated growing nine times annually and expected to reach 221 exabytes by 20262, organizations need a simple and effective way to manage and secure the diverse ecosystem of edge technologies.
"We're seeing exponential growth in applications running at the edge, making edge the next frontier of business transformation—where devices, infrastructure and data come together to deliver real-time insights at scale," said
With the Project Frontier edge operations software platform, customers can expect:
- Their choice of software applications, IoT frameworks, operational technologies (OT), multicloud environments and future technologies supported by an open design that will consolidate existing and new enterprise edge use cases.
Zero Trust-enabled security protection across edge applications, data and infrastructure, from design to deployment, backed by end-to-end supply chain security measures.
- Greater efficiency and reliability of end-to-end edge operations with centralized management, zero-touch deployment and secure device onboarding.
- Minimal need for IT expertise in the field with automation to streamline edge deployments and operations across potentially thousands of edge locations.
- Integration of edge compute and storage hardware with workloads for ease of serviceability and increased security.
- Global planning and support services across 170 countries to help design edge deployments and create a roadmap for scaling customers' edge infrastructure to meet new demand.
As an example,
"IDC sees a wide range of locations where modern edge workloads will be deployed, and it is critical that these environments are highly resilient and can operate with limited human intervention," said
As Project Frontier comes to life,
- Edge analytics and operations: Manufacturers can remove complexities and streamline how they deploy edge applications with an enhanced Dell Validated Design for Manufacturing Edge. The solution now includes new
Dell-validated partner applications to support advanced edge use cases and improve factory processes and efficiencies, while reducing waste and raw materials usage for more sustainable operations. For example, Claroty provides asset discovery, network protection, threat detection and vulnerability and risk management for cyber-physical systems. Cognex machine vision helps improve manufacturing quality and performance by eliminating defects, verifying assembly and tracking information during the production process. Telit automates data collection and management from sensors, devices, machines and factories with its IoT platform. XMPro creates composable digital twins of factory operations to help manufacturers save time and materials during the factory operating process. Manufacturers can respond quickly to changes in demand and enable reconfigurable production lines with Dell'sprivate 5G capability.
- Edge compute and analytics: The Dell PowerEdge XR4000 is the shortest depth server in the Dell PowerEdge family at about the size of a shoebox. The XR4000 is 60% shorter than traditional data center servers, and its multiple mounting options allow it to be installed in a rack, on walls or ceilings, saving valuable floor space. The multi-node, 2U chassis server can survive unpredictable conditions like heat waves or falls. While small, the XR4000 is a high-performance server capable of supporting a wide range of edge workloads and is designed with Intel® Xeon® D processors with multi-operating system as well as optional GPU support. The XR4000 is available with the Dell Validated Design for Manufacturing Edge and powers new Dell VxRail rugged modular nodes, delivering high performance and scalability in high latency, low bandwidth locations.
- Edge data collection: Built to withstand the most demanding edge locations, the Dell Latitude 7230 Rugged Extreme Tablet is the industry's lightest3, most powerful4, 12" fully-rugged tablet. Designed to operate in extreme cold and hot environments, this tablet is rated for maximum protection against dust, dirt and water—ideal for first responders and outdoor environments. New Wi-Fi 6E5 capability with dual-band support provides more reliable connectivity, 12th
Gen Intel® Core™ processors deliver powerful performance, and optional integrated features, such as a barcode scanner, GPS module and smartcard reader, increase productivity in the field. The tablet is made to be viewed in the brightest, harshest lighting with the largest screen-area for a 12" fully-rugged, military-grade tablet6.
- Project Frontier's edge software platform will be available in 2023.
- Dell Validated Design for Manufacturing Edge enhancements will be available globally in early 2023.
- Dell PowerEdge XR4000, also available with Dell OEM customizable options, will be available globally in
- Dell Latitude 7230 Rugged Extreme Tablets will be available globally by end of 2022.
- Learn more about Project Frontier
- Read more details about Dell PowerEdge XR4000
- Find more details on the Dell Latitude 7230 Rugged Extreme Tablet
- Connect with
Dellvia Twitter and LinkedIn
Copyright © 2022 Dell Inc. or its subsidiaries. All Rights Reserved.
1 IDC, Survey Spotlight: Where Do Customers Need Help with Edge?, Doc # US48896522,
2 IDC, Global Datasphere 2022-2026 Forecast, Doc #US49018922,
3 Based on
4 Based on
5 WiFi 6E compatible router required. Router requires a separate purchase. WiFi 6E connectivity is only available in select locations. Check availability with your service provider.
6 Based on
View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dell-technologies-transforms-the-edge-with-project-frontier-software-platform-301647135.html
Media Relations, Media.Relations@Dell.com