Dell Technologies and AT&T Collaborate on Open Source Edge Computing and 5G Software Infrastructure
- Pursue a common vision for network virtualization and disaggregation to accelerate open source technologies supporting
Dell Technologiesinfrastructure within AT&T'sNetwork Cloud powered by Airship
- Deliver open source automation capabilities across infrastructure stack – from bare metal to network to storage – enabling operational re-tooling for quick new service delivery
- Catalyze broader Airship ecosystem and fast-track Airship 2.0 release
- Jointly enhance additional open source efforts including Metal3-io and OpenStack Ironic, integrate Kubernetes Cluster API
Realizing the full potential of 5G innovation
5G is not simply an evolution from 4G. 5G requires massive transformation. It demands new, distributed architectures that use software-defined, disaggregated and open infrastructure to automate the delivery and management of mobile services and new analytics-driven telemetry to ensure consistent service levels.
The goal of edge computing is to move compute closer to the end user and applications, creating a low-latency environment for a new class of cloud-native applications. Combining edge computing and 5G extends cloud and "IT-centric" requirements beyond traditional fixed-function hardware to deliver more dynamic, agile edge compute, storage and networking solutions on an unprecedented scale. To capitalize on the new business opportunities that edge computing and 5G will create, communication service providers need open, validated, industry-standard architectures, combined with software-defined networking (SDN), network functions virtualization (NFV), cloud-native applications, and Multi-access edge computing (MEC).
Combining their respective expertise,
- Align on an overall vision of network disaggregation and accelerate the deployment of open infrastructure and AT&T Network Cloud utilizing Airship – a collection of loosely coupled, but interoperable, open source tools that declaratively automate cloud provisioning and life-cycle management utilizing containers as the unit of software delivery.
- Catalyze the broader Airship community to accelerate Airship toward a 2.0 release, delivering a streamlined aggregator of best-of-breed open technologies for declaratively deploying and managing Kubernetes environments and cloud software.
- Jointly develop and enhance additional open source efforts, including Metal3-io and OpenStack Ironic, and integrate the Kubernetes Cluster API.
- Deliver open source automation capabilities across the stack – from bare metal to network to storage – on
- Dell Technologies Service Provider
- Dell Technologies Edge Computing Solutions
- Connect with
Dell Technologiesvia Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and DECN
We help family, friends and neighbors connect in meaningful ways every day. From the first phone call 140+ years ago to mobile video streaming, we innovate to improve lives. We have the nation's fastest wireless network.** And according to America's biggest test, we have the nation's best wireless network.*** We're building FirstNet just for first responders and creating next-generation mobile 5G. With DIRECTV, DIRECTV NOW and WatchTV, we deliver entertainment people love to talk about. Our smart, highly secure solutions serve nearly 3 million global businesses – nearly all of the Fortune 1000. And worldwide, our spirit of service drives employees to give back to their communities.
© 2019 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved.
**Based on analysis by Ookla® of Speedtest Intelligence® data average download speeds for Q2 2019.
Copyright © 2019 Dell Inc. or its subsidiaries. All Rights Reserved. Dell, EMC and other trademarks are trademarks of Dell Inc. or its subsidiaries. Other trademarks may be trademarks of their respective owners.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dell-technologies-and-att-collaborate-on-open-source-edge-computing-and-5g-software-infrastructure-300902161.html
Dell Technologies Media Relations, Media.email@example.com; Katie FranklinAT&T Corporate Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org